A Guide: Making Insurance Simple

What should I do if I am having trouble settling my claim?

  1. Let your insurer or insurance intermediary know that you are unhappy.

    If the person handling your claim is unable to solve your problem, get the name and phone number of the head of the insurer's claims department. Inform him that you have a complaint and ask for the procedure you need to follow to lodge your complaint.

  2. Be prepared to support your case.

    Send documents, if any, and a letter explaining why you are not satisfied and make sure you have the facts and figures to back up your argument. Be certain to include your address, claim number, day and evening phone numbers, and any other important identifying information.

  3. Consult a lawyer

    This should be your last resort. However, if you do feel the need for legal assistance, consult a lawyer who specialises in insurance matters. You can follow the progress of your claim by asking your lawyer to provide you with copies of all correspondence. Your lawyer must have your agreement before committing to any settlement.

  4. The role of the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission

    The GFSC has not been given the role of an ombudsman allowing it to adjudicate in disputes between customers and regulated firms. However, it is useful for the GFSC to be made aware of complaints against firms it supervises, because this might draw attention to more general shortcomings in a business such as inadequacy of systems and lack of expertise of its staff.

    Please visit the GFSC's complaints page for further information regarding the GFSC's role in dealing with complaints.

  5. Office of Fair Trading (OFT)

    The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) of the Government of Gibraltar (consumer.protection@gibraltar.gov.gi) is able to provide assistance to individuals who wish to complain about services or goods provided by any firm in Gibraltar.

  6. UK Financial Services Ombudsman

    The UK Financial Services Ombudsman is able to adjudicate in disputes relating to Gibraltar insurers covering risks in the UK if these companies are members of the Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme. For more information, please visit their website.